How do I dispute a hospital bill.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I dispute a hospital bill.

I have an outstanding medical bill from a hospital visit. I filled
out a workers compensation form but my boss said there was
no proof so he did not sign it and I let it go. The insurance
that I had at the time should have picked up the bill but didn’t.
Now I have to pay the full amount. How do I dispute the
letter? I was covered under my insurance so they should pick
up the bill, right? It happened in Nevada.

Asked on April 22, 2017 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You don't dispute the bill with the hospital: if they performed services for you, you are responsible for them being paid, either directly by yourself or by your insurer. You need to force your insurer to pay. If they refuse to pay when you believe that under the under the terms of your policy at the time, they should pay, you can sue them for "breach of contract" (an insurance policy is a contract) to force them honor their contractual obligations. You would need to show that under the policy terms and the facts of the situation, they were supposed to pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption