How can we fight contractor a who wants to sue us?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can we fight contractor a who wants to sue us?

Our contractor is suing us for $2500 because we refuse to pay a portion of our final invoice for a kitchen renovation that went bad. We have paid the initial quote, plus all change orders and written add-ons. The surprise charges added at the end are for

Asked on September 1, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You fight it by testifying in court (and providing evidence of) what you have written: that the work was not authorized by you, and/or that it was either not completed or not done to a commercially acceptable or reasonable standard. Evidence of your communications with the contractor, all the change orders you did agree to or provide (since if you can show that all other work was properly documented, that reinforced that undocumented work was not approved), photographs of the problems or defective work, etc. will all help you. And if you are being brought into court, countersue him for compensation--you will be in court anyway. Sue for the cost to complete incomplete work and redo flawed work (you'll need new contractor proposals or quotes to document that).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption