How can the probation officer violate my husband for smoking weed after restitution was paid?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can the probation officer violate my husband for smoking weed after restitution was paid?

my husband did all that was required of him on probation including paying off all his finesand probation fees, going to GED classes, not getting into any trouble, he reported every month on time and his crime was not **** related. He was supposed to be let off of papers completely after he paid off the court house. He never had a **** test until it came close for him to get off papers and i don’t think it is fair for him to be in jail when it is already been noted that he has an addiction to drugs. Is there anyway for me to get him out of jail or is there anybody that i can go to for help.

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The simple answer to your question is that if staying away from illegal drugs was a condition of his probation, and a drug test at any time prior to the end of his probation revealed that he had taken an illegal drug, then his probation officer had the ability to violate him.  Hypothetically, if there are ten conditions of probation, and the probationer follows nine but violates one, than theoretically probation can be violated based upon that sole violation.  At this point, I suggest you consult with and/or retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to determine what, if any, options remain available to your husband to shorten and/or end his present period of incarceration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption