How can I resolve a claim on my credit by a landlord if I have tried to dispute and I do not owe the debt?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I resolve a claim on my credit by a landlord if I have tried to dispute and I do not owe the debt?

I resided in a complex and when I moved out I removed everything form my apartment and cleaned it entirely. I received a notice stating they were keeping my security deposit and charging me an additional $734 for carpet and misc fees. I returned a written dispute as asked and never heard a response. They than proceeded to hand over to collections which is now on my credit report. I have been trying to resolve this issue ever since with no contact back from the complex. I do not owe this debt, what can I do to resolve and have removed from my credit?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. The best way to try and resolve the negative credit report with respect to you is to consult with an attorney who practices in the area of consumer and credit law. If your landlord has not filed a lawsuit against you for the claimed money owed him or her, it does not seem right that your credit can be negatively impacted by an unadjudicated claim for money owed.

Perhaps a letter from an attorney writing on your behalf will help resolve the matter you are writing about to your satisfaction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption