How can I go about terminating my son’s father’s parental rights?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I go about terminating my son’s father’s parental rights?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Family Law, New Jersey


Brad Micklin / The Micklin Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Usually one cannot voluntarily terminate parental rights, whether you are the mother or father. The reason is courts favor having both parents involved in a child's life. Additionally, New Jersey courts want to ensure there is adequate financial support for the child and releasing a parent from his or her parental rights also releases him or her from his or her parental responsibilities, namely paying child support.

The only you could achieve something like this is to have the other parent sign an order in which he or she is indicating that it is in the child's best interest not to have contact with the other parent but that financial responsibility such as child support and possibly college contribution remain unaffected. Otherwise, I do not see a New Jersey Court accepting any attempt to eliminate or reduce one's parental rights.

If you want to speak with an experienced attorney who is familiar with these areas of law, call us at 973-562-0100.  Our firm is concentrated in family law and estate planning case.

Good luck.

Brad M. Micklin, Esq.

The Micklin Law Group

187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F

Nutley, NJ 07110


[email protected] n

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption