How can i get my ex husbands name off my deed so i can sell my home

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can i get my ex husbands name off my deed so i can sell my home

I want to get out of the town i live in
but my ex husbands name is on the deed
but doesnt pay property taxes or any
other responsibilities involving the
home abd hasnt lived in the house in
over a year

Asked on February 13, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't get it off the deed unless:
1) In a divorce decree or judgment, he was ordered to give up his interest (e.g. quitclaim it to you); if so and he has not, you could file a legal action to hold him in contempt of court (e.g. fine or imprison him) until he complies;
2) You purchase his interest from him; or
3) He otherwise voluntarily agrees to give up his interest. 
Otherwise, as someone on the deed, he is an owner of the property; you can't make an owner give up his interest or rights other than voluntarily (e.g. by buying it from him) except if he was ordered to or agreed to in a divorce.
What you can do if none of 1) - 3) above is practical is file a lawsuit for "partition": this is a legal action in which, when the owners of property are deadlocked as to what to do about it, one of them asks the court to issue an order that the property be sold and the proceeds, after paying costs of sale and paying off any mortgage(s) or lien(s), be distributed or split between the owners. This is the law's remedy for when the owners of property cannot agree on what to do. If you wish to pursue this option, consult with a real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption