paid for HVAC system in a house belonging to my in-laws

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

paid for HVAC system in a house belonging to my in-laws

We lived in a home that my father and mother-in-law owned. I wanted to buy the home for the last year but neither would start the ball rolling with the bank they have it financed through. I got tired of waiting so we bought a home for cash. Now the house has fallen into foreclosure. I just want the money I paid for the furnace and central air back. Do I have a legal standing in filling a lien or is there some other option I have?

Asked on February 13, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot get the amount you paid for the furnace and central air back UNLESS there was a written agreement with  your father and mother-in-law that they would repay you for this amount (either at a set time, or if they did not sell the house to you); if there was, you could sue your father and mother in law personally for their violation of that agreement, but have no grounds to put to a lien against the property. You can only put a lien on the property if not only had there been some repayment agreement, but there had specifically been an agreement giving you a lien, which lien was properly filed with the county.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption