how can i get a felony record off my back ground

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how can i get a felony record off my back ground

I have a felony and its been really hard for me to get a job. And I want to know
what I can do get get it expunged or something of my record. Please help or if I
can get it reduced to a lesser charge

Asked on December 20, 2018 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Felony convictions cannot be expunged in Texas (as of yet).  If you were on deferred or probation, then you may be eligible for a non-disclosure.  This would depend on your paperwork.  You will need to take your paperwork (plea papers, judgment, probation conditions) to a criminal defense attorney and let them evaluate your case to see if you are eligible.  Make sure the attorney handles expunctions or non-disclosures before you meet with them. (Not all criminal defense attorneys do these).
If you are not eligible right now, get a second opinion every other year.  I say this because the legislature has gotten more lenient every year for the last couple of sessions.  Ten years ago, for example, no one could get a non-disclosure order for DWI's.  Now, there is a specific statute which permits certain DWI defendant's to get a non-disclosure order.
If you are not eligible for an expunction or a non-disclosure, you may also want to visit with an appellate attorney that handles post conviction writs.  There are often commonly referred to as "out of time appeals."  (This is a very loose description).  Bascially, if the appellate attorney can determine that there was something wrong about your conviction, then they may be able to get the conviction undone....and thus all of the negative consequences that come with the felony conviction.  These are hard to obtain and tend to be expensive...but more and more non-profit legal groups are offering these types of keep it open as an option to at least explore.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption