How can I find out legal answers on how to start a charity if I have no money for legal advice?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find out legal answers on how to start a charity if I have no money for legal advice?

Asked on February 22, 2014 under Business Law, Wisconsin


Bradley Miller / Miller Law LLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Not to be rude or disrespectful, but if you don't have enough money for legal advice then you really don't have enough money to start up a charity. Probably even more so than with a for-profit business, it is important that a non-profit is set up properly because it can affect whether or not the IRS will grant you tax-exempt status and whether you are able to maintain it. Tax-exempt status is critical if you plan to accept donations from others. Your question shows that you understand the importance of the legal components of a non-profit organization and the advice of an attorney.

Ultimately, you are best off going to an attorney to help you with the legal issues. However, you can find some good resources on setting up non-profits through a simple Google search. In addition, the IRS has a very good section on its site with videos for people looking to start or operate a tax-exempt business that I would recommend you checking out.

I hope this helps. Again, properly setting up a charity necessarily has a significant legal component. The cost of good legal advice should be prioritized and built into your start-up budget. If you don't have enough money for that legal help, you probably should wait before trying to start up your non-profit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption