How can I find a trust set up in my name 30+ years ago?

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I find a trust set up in my name 30+ years ago?

My mother passed away and my father sued the hospital; there was a settlement. It has come to my attention recently there were trusts set up for my brother and I. My dad went through a spending frenzy, and my grandfather always told my aunts to not worry, he can’t touch the kids money. They will have money for college, than recieve the bulk of it at a certain age. Can you point me in the right direction to uncover the truth behind this so I can recoup moneys due to us? I am worried that my parents have been able to access this and everythings gone.

Asked on October 4, 2011 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  Although 30 plus years in a long amount of time, it is possible that the court may still have a record of what happened, either in a hard copy or on microfilm.  So you need to first try that route.  If the proceeds were placed in a special account for your benefit or a long term annuity, then the court records should indicate where that is or was.  Next, if the funds were placed in a trust it is possible that the trust obtained its own EIN number (a social security number for entities) and that the trust filed taxes.  You can try and see about that.  You can also try to see if any money went unclaimed to the state.  Next, if there was a trust set up in a bank it is most likely a local bank.  You can canvas the area to see if you can find out anything.  Finally, your family may be a good source of information but they may just not be aware of that.  Probe them; look at old records of accounts that could be in the attic, etc.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption