How can I claim family property in the possession of a non-relative?

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 23, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I claim family property in the possession of a non-relative?

This is all that is left of my fathers’ mothers’ family. We would like to have this item as it has been in our family since late 1800’s. Can you please give some direction as to what can be done?

Asked on April 23, 2013 under Estate Planning, Virginia


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Was ther estate of your father's mother ever probated,  so as to direct the property of unnknown value to the rightful person? You will need  the services of a probate investigator to trace the ownership of the property before you seek the legal counsel of a probate lawyer to make a claim for the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption