Hit and Run

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Hit and Run

I was back ended by a vehicle on an on ramp at what felt like pretty high speeds. The vehicle then decided to speed off and I quickly pursued the vehicle even though I had hit my head on the steering wheel. I called 911 to report the hit and run and the state troopers quickly intervened and pulled the vehicle over. The officer gave me a crash report and it showed that he wrote the other driver a ticket 3361 Driving vehicle at safe speeds. I am not sure what this means but I was wondering if there is anything I could do because I think the police just let him go even though he left the scene. My car has no major damage just a couple of scratches, a small dent, and my horn stopped working for some reason.

Asked on November 20, 2017 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't force the police to do their job, so if they choose to let him get off with only one minor ticket for this, unfortunately, that's going to be the case.
You could sue the other driver, who was clearly at-fault or negligent in causing the accident, for any costs to repair your car and any directly related other costs (like a rental for a few days if necessary, if you car is in the shop). Bear in mind that suing will take at least a day of your time and if he doesn't pay voluntarily after the lawsuit (or has no money to pay), you could spend a lot of effort on collections and still not get the money (or all the money). It may be best, if you have collision insurance, to simply file a claim--this is why you have insurnace, after all--unless the amount is so small it's best to pay for repairs out of pocket and then move on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption