What kind of lawyer do I need to get for a civil lawsuit over a car accident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What kind of lawyer do I need to get for a civil lawsuit over a car accident?

My husband and I got a summons from an insurer regarding a wreck that he was in, however it has no time or date to show up. What do we need to do? We are not disputing what they are claiming but they said we need to make a statement within 30 days and our time is almost up.

Asked on November 20, 2017 under Accident Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Attached to the summons is the complaint (lawsuit). You have thirty days from the date it was served on you to file an answer to the complaint with the court and mail a copy to the opposing party or their attorney if they have an attorney.
Your husband's auto insurance carrier should provide him with an attorney at no cost.  The type of attorney to handle this matter is a civil litigation attorney. 
Refer the matter to your husband's auto insurance carrier which will handle the case for him.
If the thirty day deadline for filing an answer to the complaint is missed, the opposing party will file a default judgment against your husband.  This means he has lost unless a motion to set aside the default is successful which will get the case back on track.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption