Hi, I’m desperate because I owe 5,000$ in my two credit cards, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Hi, I’m desperate because I owe 5,000$ in my two credit cards, what can I do?

Right now I’m unemployed, and all the interests and fees are accumulating. I didn’t pay two months. What can I do to reduce my interests and fees?

Asked on June 23, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

First, you can contact your creditors and try to negotiate something--a reduction in the amount owed, longer payment terms, a lower interest rate, etc.--with them. There's no guarantee they'll do so, but most lenders are practical, and know you can't get blood from a  stone; they'd rather negotiate something that lets you pay than have you default entirely.

Second, you could declare bankruptcy. That is a serious option, as it affects your credit rating, ability to get credit, etc. However, if you have much more debt than you have assets, it may make sense to do so.

In the meantime, try to pay at least the minimum amounts if you can, while you work out a longer-term solution; you don't want to go into default, which may affect credit, trigger higher interest rates, and put you into collections. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption