What can I do if for religious reasons my wife cannot undergo a full medical exam needed for obtaining an immigrant visa?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if for religious reasons my wife cannot undergo a full medical exam needed for obtaining an immigrant visa?

I am a US citizen. My wife’s petition for an immigrant visa has been approved. Her interview was scheduled but when it was time to do the medical exam, the doctor wanted to see the external genitalia. Due to religious reasons, we are not allowed to have that done. Is there a way for us to have that part of the medical exam waived or is there another test that we can request to be done that would give the same result rather than having to look at that part? The doctors have been uncooperative in the matter. They say that they would only cooperate if we provide a letter from an official who is an authority in regard to the visa process. We have put the process on hold until we can figure out what to do.

Asked on September 7, 2015 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Just ask the physician to complete the rest of the medical examination and omit whatever they are not able to perform and then for the interview your wife will be able to present an explanation as to why that portion of the medical exam was not performed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption