What will the impact on my record be regarding future job searches, etc. if I was charged with shoplifting less than $500, a Class A misdemeanor?

UPDATED: May 21, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will the impact on my record be regarding future job searches, etc. if I was charged with shoplifting less than $500, a Class A misdemeanor?

This if my first offense and I have never had any sort of legal trouble, nor will I again after this I assure you. Just a stupid, young mistake. Should I pursue private counsel in order to have a higher chance at being granted a diversion program and eventually having the charges expunged from my record altogether or can a Public Defender help me do this just as easily? I am not worried as much about saving money, although I would like to get through this for as little as possible.

Asked on May 21, 2014 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


Richard Southard / Law Office of Richard Southard

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

New York does not expunge criminal convictions no matter how long you stay out of trouble, so if you are convicted of this crime or an attempt to commit this crime, it will haunt you for the rest of your life.  Experienced attorneys can help you reduce the charges so you dont have a criminal conviction and in some cases get the charges dismissed altogether.  Although the amount being close to $500 makes it a harder task for your attorney.  Don't give up, hire an attorney and fight to minimize the consequences.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption