Has my university housing gone too far regarding my housing situation?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Has my university housing gone too far regarding my housing situation?

We were randomly assigned and I happened to get the only dorm with no air conditioning. My roommates and I bought a portable air conditioner that we just got introuble for because it uses “too much energy” and the building is “too old.” On moving day nothing was cleaned, it was covered in dust and the windows actually crumbled.There were spiders in the room and the floors and furniture were not cleaned. The ceiling crumbles and dirt will appear on our bed sheets from the ceiling. Is this acceptable? I am terribly sick right now and I think it is from this dirty room.

Asked on September 3, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No, it is no acceptable.  The University is not exempt from the houseing code and the warranties of habitability that comes with living in their dorms.  I would speak with the housing office and then an attorney about the matter.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption