Can my mom go to jail for hiding my uncle from the police?

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my mom go to jail for hiding my uncle from the police?

They were looking for him in another state for drugs or something. The FBI entered today and took him. Can she face any penalty or sentence for harboring a fugitive? Could we prevent this with a good lawyer.?

Asked on March 12, 2013 under Criminal Law, Illinois


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You mother could be arrested for what's called "harboring a fugitive". Anytime a person knowingly and intentionally attempts to evade police or law enforcement by hiding a known fugitive from capture can be criminally charged. It is best that she contact a criminal defense attorney in her area to advise her on her best options at this point. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption