How to end a guardianship?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to end a guardianship?

I’m 17 and turning 18 in 4 months. I currently live with my chronic depressed, mental guardian that is trying to get disability for being legally insane. She is very mentally and emotionally abusive and I’m very afraid that this might escalate into physical abuse soon. I have an aunt that is willing to take me in. My guardian wants to commit suicide and has been put in the hospital before for trying to kill herself. There are unregistered guns in the house hold and I wanted to know, legally, how can I get out of this house before I’m 18?

Asked on August 4, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you no longer wish to reside with your legal guardian because of the issues at home that you have written about, you need to have your aunt that is willing to take you in file a peitition with the court to change the legal guardianship as to you with the court.

Since ytou are essentially an adult, if conditions where you are living are so bad, you should immediately make the move to your aunt's home. Your aunt should consult with a family law attorney to get the petition for the change of the legal guardianship under way.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption