If I got answers back from my discovery and it seems the plaintiff mixed up their answers with another lawsuit, what should I do?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got answers back from my discovery and it seems the plaintiff mixed up their answers with another lawsuit, what should I do?

Just received my answers from the plaintiff and their answers to my disclosure request to no match what I sent them, they seem to be answering disclosure on a medical lawsuit and mine is a debt lawsuit. What should I do?

Asked on August 29, 2011 Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Write a letter to the plaintiff stating that the responses to your discovery seem to be from a different lawsuit.  Request that the plaintiff provide appropriate responses to your discovery.  Include a deadline for the plaintiff to provide responses to your discovery such as ten days from the date of your letter or you will file with the court a motion to compel with sanctions.

A motion to compel is a motion to compel further responses to the discovery.  Sanctions are monetary fines ordered by the court against the party who failed to respond to discovery.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption