What could happen if I had a car accident a 2 years ago and am now being sued?

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 22, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What could happen if I had a car accident a 2 years ago and am now being sued?

Basically, I hit someone’s rear bumper. My car was insured but I was not under the insurance policy it’s under my father’s name, and it didn’t cover me so after a year the other person’s insurance company sued me for almost $15,000. However, I am a college student and there is no way I can pay for all that money since I only work one day out of the week.

Asked on September 22, 2015 under Accident Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you hit them from behind, you were almost certainly at fault--the law presumes the rear driver is at fault, since he/she should have maintained a safe following distance and been able to stop in time. However, even if they can prove your fault and therefore liability obligation to pay, which is likely, they have to prove the damages, or cost of property damage and injuries, and can only recover the actual damages or cost so unless they can prove $15,000 of damages or personal injury e.g. whiplash, they can't get that much from you--they can only get what they can prove.
If don't pay voluntarily e.g. settle, they'll presumably go forward to trial, and you'll likely lose. They will probably get a judgment for whatever amount of money they can prove you cost the other driver in property damage, medical bills, etc., plus, if the other driver was severely hurt, some amount for "pain and suffering"--up to the $15,000 for which they are suing you.
At that point, you may need to consider filing for bankrupty bankruptcy works on judgment debts amounts a court ordered you to pay for accidents like this, as long as you were not DUI at the time and if you have little income or assets, you have little at stake in the bankruptcy. It will hurt your credit for years, but so will having an unpaid judgment against you bankruptcy is something you should consider, since it may be a good option if you can't work out a manageable settlement or payment plan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption