If I just found that my auto insurance company changed the limits of my auto insurance without my permission, what can I do?

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I just found that my auto insurance company changed the limits of my auto insurance without my permission, what can I do?

They kept lying to me. I wanted to cancel my policy but they said a cancellation fee would be charged. I don’t think it’s fair because they violated our agreements first. What should I do?

Asked on February 23, 2015 under Insurance Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You could terminate the agreement without paying a fee on the grounds that they breached the contract by altering your limits without your permission. Before doing that, check the policy to make sure that they don't have the permission or authority in the policy to do that--if the policy itself allowed them to make this change, they did nothing wrong. Also bear in mind that even if you are legally allowed to terminate due to their breach, if they disagree and try to collect the cancellation fee from you, you could end up in litigation (e.g. defending yourself from collections), which could be costly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption