Get property and records back

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Get property and records back

I am the VP of an organization and the current Treasurer has records and documents stored at her house and refuses to give said records back to the organization. There is a question about funds missing and we are looking to do an audit. How can we get the records?

Asked on July 24, 2018 under Business Law, Delaware


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can file a lawsuit against whomever (e.g. the Treasurer) you believe may have misused or misappropriated funds, for the amount of seemingly or potentially missing money. In the lawsuit, you can then use the legal procedures or mechanisms of "discovery" to get these documents, such as (if you are suing the treasurer) written interrogatories (or questions) and document production requests, or subpoenas (if you are suing someone else).
Alternately, you could sue the Treasurer for theft, for taking business property (the records), seeking a court order for their return. In addition to seeking the court order, you will again have access to the mechanisms of discovery.
The good news is that there are legal mechanisms that will compel her to provide these documents; the bad news is that they only available when a lawsuit is filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption