Fraudulent Induced Employment

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Fraudulent Induced Employment

I was hired as a full-time exempt HR business partner. I moved my family across the country for the job. Then, after 30 days, the my duties and location changed. The director of the department became very hostile. She wanted me to track my hours and send all of my email to her first. I reported this to the SVP and company attorney. They brought us both into a room and read aloud what I had told them. Then asked us both to take 72 hours to think about communication training and how we could work together. I just want to be done with this company but need unemployment until my next career. If I submit a resignation will i be able to receive unemployment in the state of ND?

Asked on November 14, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, North Dakota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, you will not be able to receive unemployment: your resignation will be seen as a voluntary separation from employment and so will deny you benefits. This was NOT fraudulent inducement: unless you had a written employment contract for a defined or definite term (such as a one-year contract) which was still in effect and which they violated, you were an employee at will and they could legally change the terms, conditions, duties, location, etc. of you job at will. If after you were there for a time, even a short time, they decided to change your job, that is their legal right. Changing your job after you started it is not "fraudulent inducement": it is simply an employer exercising its rights under "employment at will."
If you did have a written employment contract for a definite term which defined your job and which terms were violated, it's a different story; you could then sue them for breach of contract to enforce its terms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption