financial settlement sfter divorce

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

financial settlement sfter divorce

I have been married 12 years to my current wife. I have a flat mortgaged until I’m 75 in my sole name which I bought prior to my marriage 5 years previously. The marriage has broken down and I will no longer be able to pay the mortage and want to retire. I am also in poor health but still working currently 69. I am currently in receipt of state pension and teacher pension. My wife is 20 years younger than me, so she is working but makes no contribution to houshold bills or the mortgage. She is making demands on a share of the flat proceeds when sold. Where do i stand legally on splitting if that is indeed the case?

Asked on August 19, 2018 under Family Law, Alaska


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

As long as you purchased your home prior to your marriage, it is still solely in your name and your wife has not financially helped with the mortgage payments or any maintenance, repairs or improvements, then she has no claim to the house or any equity in it. If, however, she did contribute to the maintenance, repairs, and/or improvements, then even if she did not pay towards the mortgage she may have a claim to some of the equity. At this point, you should consult directly with a local divorce attorney. They can best advise you further after reviewing all of the facts of your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption