What to do about a vacant house that is causing damage to an adjacent property?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a vacant house that is causing damage to an adjacent property?

My sister has an empty house next door and her house has gotten a lot of damage from it. She now has water coming in from the rain and this has stopped her hot water heater from working. She is unable to get homeowner’s insurance because of this house. How does she get help or who does she contact? Licensing and Inspections say they have already closed up the house, so there is nothing else they can do. No taxes have been paid in 15 years. Can this house be taken down?

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Interesting question.

Your sister should go down to the county tax records and see who the owner is for the adjacent parcel and obtain his or her mailing address. Once obtained, your sister should try calling the person to speak about the problem or if unsuccessful, write him or her about the problem seeking a way to have it resolved.

If no taxes have been paid on the property for fifteen years, your sister should inquire if the county will be having a tax sale on it and if so, she might be able to purchase it for a relatively low price and if so, her problem is resolved.

She could also sue the owner of the house for maintaining a nuisance and for causing damages to her property.

Since there has apparently been no one around on the next door property for years, your sister could start using self help to protect her property by diverting water from her parcel back to the problem parcel, keeping weeds down, doing upkeep and even paying its property taxes to set up a situation for a prescriptive easement or adverse possession (five year requirement).

I suggest that she consult with an experienced real estate attorney to explore the suggestions outlined above.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption