What to do if a lien against the previous owner was placed against my property?

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a lien against the previous owner was placed against my property?

I bought a home in CO 3 years ago. I just found out that the IRS placed a lien against the property in the name of the previous owner 2 months my purchase. I have title insurance and had a clean closing. What, if anything, do I need to do?

Asked on September 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you purchased real property and the Internal Revenue Service recorded a lien on his proeprty after you closed escrow on it for monies owed by the prior owner, you need to write the Internal Revenue Service a letter (after you speak directly with one of its agents about the subject) confirming that you closed escrow on the property before the lien was recorded sending copies of the following documents with the letter:

1. recorded deed transferring title to you from the prior owner;

2. your title insurance policy showing no recorded Internal Revenue Service lien on the property you purchased.

If you do not get a released lien on your property, you will need to consult with a real estate attorney to assist you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption