Employer not communicating with me about a concern I brought forward

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Employer not communicating with me about a concern I brought forward

I a few weeks ago made my concerns about my General manager and their behaviour
in and outside the work place towards me and other employees to their direct
report I eventually was asked to write a statement but weeks have gone by and I
feel they are brushing me aside as they say the GM is a highly respected employee
and it may just be a ‘personal away from work issue’ no one has yet officially
followed up with my about my concerns. Around the same time, the GM took off on
emergency medical leave but is due to return and I fear retaliation. Do I have to
wait for them to come back to work and hope I am not treated poorly or should my
employer have followed up on my concerns by now

Asked on August 30, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If your concern was about discrimination or harassment based on an employee's race, color, national origin, sex, age 40 or over, religion, or disability, your employer must address the concern; if they don't, you could file a complaint with the federal EEOC.
But if the concern is about some other issue (bad management; a personal conflict btween you and the manager; etc.) they have no obligation to address the concern, you had no protected right to make it, and you may be terminated for complaining about a manager/management, all as a consequence of "employment at will," which is the law of this country (except when there is a written employment contract to the contrary).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption