What recourse do I have if my former employer falsifies a non-compete agreement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What recourse do I have if my former employer falsifies a non-compete agreement?

I signed a non-compete agreement with a former employer while still employed that prohibited me from working with specific customers. The term customers was defined very specifically to include any an all in customers in market segment

Asked on August 30, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file a lawsuit against them for defamation--for making a false factual assertion about you which damages your reputation and/or causes you economic harm--and also for "tortious interference with economic advantage"--or using a wrongful means (defamation) to harm you economically. You can also add "breach of contract": for violating the actual terms of the agreement. You can do this yourself, but a lawyer would definitely be helpful.
Also contact the police: there are crimes for falsying legal documents and/or doing something that implicitly represents that they are you (e.g. claiming you agreed to something when you did not, so they are effectively agreeing "for" you), so it is possible the could face criminal liability, too.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption