DWI under 21 collin county TX

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

DWI under 21 collin county TX

Do we need an attorney, can this be removed from there record? first offense of any kind, Great student, 18, senior, going to college in the fall.

Asked on May 8, 2009 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

Yes,  this is a criminal matter.  An attorney can possibly get the charges thrown out for a technicality or get them reduced. 

There is also a legal procedure that he can help you with "expungement".  After a length of time, criminal records can be sealed or destroyed, legally speaking. Expungement is considered a civil action where the plaintiff petitions the DUI court to declare his or her records expunged, or cleared.

 Clearing your record is important.  Outside of law enforcement, criminal histories are most commonly used in determining eligibility for employment or for certain educational programs. Sometimes a prospective employer or a school - particularly those in licensed or bonded professions - will require an applicant to supply a copy of his or her criminal history as a part of the application process. In other cases, an employer will ask for authorization from an applicant to conduct a background check, and that background check may include both criminal history and credit information.

In some states, it is not possible to get expungement of a DUI conviction.  In Texas DUI expungement is only possible if the case is dismissed, vacated, set aside or terminated in another way.

This is why you need to speak witn an attorney.  Retain one that specializes in DUI.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption