During separation should I pay my wife child support for our 2 kids or pay the house payment?

UPDATED: Feb 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

During separation should I pay my wife child support for our 2 kids or pay the house payment?

We’ve been living separate for 7 months and I currently give her a check for child support for our 2 kids. This is not court ordered; I just started doing it immediately when I left. Now she wants me to start paying the house payment instead which is about $200 more per month than the money I currently give her. I’m trying to avoid having to pay alimony when we divorce. I didn’t leave on my own; we got into an argument and she pursued assault charges on me. She makes the same money as I do and has worked the entire marriage. What would be best for me to pay at this time until the divorce?

Asked on February 4, 2011 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

No one can give you that kind of guidance in this forum.  It would be legal malpractice to tell you without seeing what your situation is, and knowing your state laws.  And it would be unethical to advise you to try and avoid something that you may in fact be legally obligated to pay.  So here is what you really need to do: speak with an attorney about starting an action of whatever kind that suits you to establish proper support here for the children and establish what your financial obligations are with regard to your assets. You are going to have to do this sooner or later so do it sooner.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption