If during my divorce, judge made me responsible for 50% of fed taxes. How do I ask judge to rerule on this part of settlement?

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If during my divorce, judge made me responsible for 50% of fed taxes. How do I ask judge to rerule on this part of settlement?

During divorce, my husband and I lived together for 6 months. During the divorce proceedings, the judge ordered that I was responsible for 50% of the federal/state taxes. I was a stay-at-home mom and my ex-husband had all paychecks going to his private bank account. Now I learn he had no taxes withheld last year so tax owed is around $15,000. What do I need to do to ask the court to re-rule on this part of the divorce settlement?

Asked on April 5, 2012 under Family Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you have a family law attorney representing you in your matter, I suggest that you speak to him or her first before you file any petition to have the court review its decision on the issue of payment for taxes. The order needs to be carefully reviewed. From what you have written, it seems to me that if the total amount of your taxes is $15,000, you would owe $7,500 and he the same amount.

If that amount is not to your satisfaction, you need to consult with your family law attorney assuming you have one to see what can be done to change the judge's decision through a subsequently filed pleading.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption