What should I do if I’ve been falsely accused of theft by someone with questionable ownership rights?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if I’ve been falsely accused of theft by someone with questionable ownership rights?

I need help to determine if a lawyer is needed. I was giving a piece of antique furniture by my grandmother as a gift. The piece is practically worthless and was being destroyed by water and mold in my grandmother’s basement. The antique was picked up by a third party (my parents)  and delivered to my home. A week after I received the antique and began to restore it, another family member (who lives in my grandmother’s house) claimed it was originally given to him and would like it back. No members of my family have any  memory of this item being given away prior to it being given to me. This person has now filled a police report stating that I stole the antique. Does this person have any legal ground? What should my next course of action be?

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your grandother is the owner of the property then she is the only one who can file charges against you UNLESS this other family member has been appointed as the guradian or conservator of her estate or she has geiven them a power of attorney to act on her behalf.  If she backs up your story then you should be fine.  Its always good to have a mouth piece in your corner just in case.  But wait this out.  Then if Granny backs you up sue the family member for defamation if you have grounds.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption