Does the county have to plow my road if its not abandoned or listed as a limited maintenance road?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does the county have to plow my road if its not abandoned or listed as a limited maintenance road?

I am the only house on the dead end road.

Asked on October 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Due to this economic recession, many municipalities simply do not have the funds to do what they were able to do in the past with respect to road maintenance and the like. Most likely the county does not have to plow the road to your home even if the road is a county road.

For further confirmation on this issue you need to call your county department of roads and maintenance to see what the current status is with respect to the maintenance of the road to get to your home. If the county plans on not plowing it, you need to send a letter to the department of roads and maintenance expressing your concerns as to its decision with a copy to your county supervisor for the district that you live in so as to establish a record for any further proceedings that may result.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption