How do my sister and I get our mother’s mobile home in our names when we cannot find a title or a bill of sale?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do my sister and I get our mother’s mobile home in our names when we cannot find a title or a bill of sale?

Asked on July 15, 2011 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In most States in this country mobile homes are treated differently than real estate for purposes of ascertaining ownership title. If your State has a Department of Motor Vehicles, you should start there for ownership records by seeing if your mother's name is on record there and if so, is it registered to the particular mobile home.

Another way to find title records to the mobile home is first find out its manufacturer and from the manufacturer of the mobile home, locate the serial number. If you find the serial number, then you can inquire of your State's Department of Motor Vehicles if there are any records for the serial number to try and trace legal title records for it.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption