Does an attorney need to give notice of their appearance before appearing in court?

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does an attorney need to give notice of their appearance before appearing in court?

I am representing myself. My ex-wife had an attorney for the divorce proceedings, and then he withdrew his appearance. We are having another hearing now on child support. If her attorney is representing her again, must he notify me in advance of his appearance in court or can he just show up on the day of the hearing and enter his appearance?

Asked on April 24, 2011 under Family Law, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your ex-wife's attorney withdrew from representing her, the attorney would have had to file a substitution of attorney with the court and  serve you with a copy.  If your ex-wife did not retain another attorney, and was representing herself, the substitution of attorney would have substituted her in place of her former attorney.  If the attorney is now representing her, another substitution of attorney should have been filed with the court reflecting that change of attorney and you should have been served with a copy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption