Does a private school have the right to withhold a transcript from a student who still owes school bill?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does a private school have the right to withhold a transcript from a student who still owes school bill?

He cannot afford to keep attending and cannot transfer without a transcript.

Asked on August 19, 2011 Indiana


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

To answer your question with respect to whether a private school can withhold a student's transcript where his or her parent's still owe on the child's tuition, you need to carefully read all contracts and rules that were signed with the private school concerning the child's eductation.

Many of these agreements that I have read in the past contain express provisions on payment of tuition by the parent as a condition for releasing a child's educational transcript. I suspect that in your situation this may very well be the case.

If so, you need to make arrangements for the payment of all amounts owed for the child so the child's school transcript can be released.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption