Do we have to pay for a hotel room that we were not charged for almost a year ago?

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 23, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do we have to pay for a hotel room that we were not charged for almost a year ago?

My husband and I stayed at a hotel in Phoenix for 7 days. When we checked out of the hotel we noticed that we were only charged for 4 days. We mentioned it to the hotel front desk person. They told us that we do not owe anything else. Now they called us and told us that we have to pay for the 3 days we did not pay for last year. Since we tried to get it cleared up before we left do we now have to pay for those 3 days?

Asked on January 23, 2012 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you would have to pay. The law does not state that if a business or person does not pursue money owed them immediately, that they then lose the right to do so. Instead, collections--and, if necessary, a legal action--can be pursued any time within the statute of limitations period, or time to sue. This would be the statute of limitations for a written agreement or contract, which is more than a year--in most states, it's at least 4 years, which means the hotel would have 4 years to pursue this debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption