Do I have to share Texas Lottery jackpot winnings with estranged husband of 6 years.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to share Texas Lottery jackpot winnings with estranged husband of 6 years.

I live in the state of Texas. My husband moved out 09/2012 and we have not been
together since then. We are separated and both with other people since then. If I
win money over 50, 000.00 in the Texas Lottery do I have to legally share it
with him? I don’t even know where he lives in Texas. Our daughter is soon to be
22 years old so no underage children or property.

Asked on July 18, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

"Separated" is not divorced: since you are in a community property estate, any income or winnings while you are still married would be considered part of your community property and your husband would have an interest in or right to a share of it. You may wish to divorce him so as to fully disentangle yourself, legally and financially, from someone you have have shared a life with in more than half a decade.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption