Do I have to pay a citation from an HOA if I don’t live there?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have to pay a citation from an HOA if I don’t live there?

I was pulled over for speeding, going 28 in a 25 mph zone but apparently a few hundred feet away was an only 15 mph zone. I have never been to this subdivision before, was just getting food around 11:30 at night. The

Asked on August 27, 2018 under General Practice, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I know: it sounds ridiculous.  But the issue here is that if you are traveling on the property of the development, it is private property and they can regulate same and enforce their speeding laws by issuing tickets.  The "regular" police can not enforce speeding regulations on privately owned streets.  While it does not affect your license or insurance,  it is an enforceable fine aganst you in that you can be sued by the HOA and then a judgement granted.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption