What do I need to pursue a defamation case?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I need to pursue a defamation case?

I’m a personal trainer. I was taking pictures of the gym for my supervisor. A woman reported to management that I was taking pictures of women exercising. Not true She said that I was a pervert and should not be allowed to train women and children.

Asked on March 19, 2019 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Defamation is a false statement communicated to a third party who recognizes the defamatory content and the statement is injurious to your reputation.
All of these elements have been satisfied by the woman's false statement to management which is clearly defamatory and injurious to your reputation.
Every repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.
Slander is spoken defamation. Libel is written defamation.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) for defamation include emotional distress, lost income, and you can seek punitive damages, which are a substantial amount to punish the intentional wrongful act of the person who defamed you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption