Do I have a case against a major corporation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have a case against a major corporation?

I work for a major tech company. I went on maternity leave with my job secure. Came back and immediately told my position would be eliminated but they’d give me some time to try and find something else within the company. Strung me along for almost a year with ideals of a new position that did not happen. External people were hired over me. I have had good/great performance reviews. Someone high up in the company who wishes to remain nameless said there’s been a block placed on me and that no matter what I do I will not be accepted for another position simply because I have not received a promotion in 5 years and it’s an underlying bias that the company has. She also said that they strung me along with fake promises of jobs for a year to cover themselves for any suit I could bring re maternity leave.

Asked on November 2, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The issue is whether this occured because you were pregnant and went on maternity leave--which would be illegal sex-based discrimination (since only women get pregnant, discriminating against employees due to pregnancy or child birth is discriminating against women)--or whether it is due to some non-sex-based reason, such as something about your work performance or relationship to a supervisor or supervisor--which would be legal, since as long as it not specifically illegal discrimination (or violation of a written employment contract), an employer may treat employee A differently or worse than employee B.
What you write suggests that it is sex-based discrimination (e.g. based on the timing), but does not prove or establish it (since, for example, there is no "smoking gun" anti-woman or -pregnancy comment or memo). Contact the federal EEOC and explain the situation to them; if they concur that you have articulated facts suggesting sex-based discrimination (i.e. that you have established a "prima facie," or  on-its-face or presumptive, case), they will contact your employer and investigate. Among other things, they will look at company statisics: how does the treatment of women overall compare to that of men? What about the treament of pregnant women? Etc. If the statistics show that on average, in your company, women are promoted less, have lower level jobs, and/or are paid less, that will signifiantly enhance your case. The employer will also have the opportunity to present its evidence (e.g of poor performance on your part, or rules/policy infractions, or poor interaction with coworkers, managers, or clients) to try to show that the way they treat you is not discrimination against women, but rather is based on some issue specific to you. If your employer cannot establish or prove a non-discriminatory reason and the statistics, etc. support your narrative, then you should have a good chance of winning in court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption