Divorcing cheating spouse housewife of 10 years

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Divorcing cheating spouse housewife of 10 years

My husband is financially controlling. I have no
credit card. Im not on the account. I am only
given allowance. He travels all the time and I
have to stay and take care of the children. My
youngest is special needs. I want to divorce for
cheating on me.

Asked on July 5, 2018 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You have a right to divorce him: in your state, having an "irreconcilable difference" with your spouse--such as over his cheating and/or how he is financially controlling--is sufficient for a divorce. In a divorce you will get a share (approximately 50%) of all money and assets acquired while the two of you were married (i.e. during the last 10 years); if he supported you, as he evidently did, you will get alimony or spousal support, at least for several years; and you should get child support for any dependent children that you are caring for/get  custody of. You can in the divorce also get an interim order requiring him to pay bills, provide money and insurance, etc. during the divorce process. Speak with a family or matrimonial law attorney to better understand the process and what you might be entitled to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption