If I got a desk ticket for shoplifting, what can I expect?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I got a desk ticket for shoplifting, what can I expect?

I’m 38 years old and have never been arrested before. My court appearance is next month. Do I need a lawyer and what is likely to happen to me?

Asked on March 17, 2016 under Criminal Law, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you are a first-time offender, then you may be given what is known as an "adjournment in contemplation of dimissal" (ACD). This is a legal tool which allows for the postponement of a criminal case so long as the accused fulfills certain conditions; if they do then all charges are dismissed. The conditions typically include that the accussed stay out of trouble during the postponement period, perform community service, make restitution to the victim, and complete a shoplifting awareness class and/or an anti-drug program.
An ACD is not probation or a conviction. The person receiving the ACD will not be asked to admit any wrongdoing. For an ACD to be granted, the judge, prosecutor and the accused must agree to it. Once the imposed conditions are met then at the end of the adjournment period the charges are dismissed and the accussed's record is sealed; there is no rap sheet or criminal record. That having been said, it is common practice for local law enforcement to keep a record of the arrest, although access to it is not allowed without an unsealing order which must be issued by a judge.
That having been said, an experienced criminal law attorney may be able to get the charge dismissed, eliminating the need for ACD. At this point, you should consult directly wirh a local lawyer who handles these type of cases. They can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption