Can money be deducted from an employee’s paycheck without their consent?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can money be deducted from an employee’s paycheck without their consent?

I work at a pizza place as a delivery driver. The boss is starting a new policy tomorrow whereby employees will be fined $1.00 for cursing, $2.00 for taking too long on deliveries and 0.50 for “not moving with purpose”. The list goes on. The money will be deducted from employee paychecks and go into a box to be given to employee of the month. I make minimum wage and don’t claim my cash tips. Is this legal?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It is almost certainly illegal.

1) As you correctly note, money may not be deducted from an employee's paycheck without employee consent, except in the case of certain deductions required by law (for example, FICA; court-ordered wage garnishment).

2) The items which trigger penalties are so vague--and are also nothing which would give rise to a cognizable or valid legal claim by the  employer against the employee (e.g. an employer can't sue for "cursing" or "not moving with purpose"--there is no legal compensation due for that)--that it is almost certain that this would be viewed as a violation of minimum wage law. That is, if you are making minimum wage, any deducations will push you below that; however, since there are legal grounds or basis for these deductions, they could be used by the employer as a handy way to avoid paying minimum wage, which is illegal.

Therefore, what you describe appears to be illegal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption