Customer messed up project and refuses consequences

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Customer messed up project and refuses consequences

I own a small business focusing on hardwood floor refinishing. Once I started the job, the homeowner poured a product on the floors at night after I left against my advice, and after saying they wouldnt do so in an email exchange. They did anyways and it caused more work for me as well as more sandpaper, time, etc. I had to upcharge for the extra work as it would have costed me more. Upon stating this, the customer said they would find someone else to finish the job basically wouldn’t let me complete the agreed upon work the proper way. What can I do?

Asked on June 26, 2018 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the customer for breach of contract.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the contract price and the additional cost you incurred repairing the damage to the floor caused by the customer pouring material on the floor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption