What can I do if the credit bureau’s continuing to reportincorrect information?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if the credit bureau’s continuing to reportincorrect information?

We have sent several letters over the last year to the 3 bureaus to have them fix the report of our mortgage. Each bureau reports the loan differently. The loan was paid when the house was sold – the credit reports say it was part of a bankruptcy that was discharged 1 1/2 years prior to the sale of the house. They obviously haven’t investigated our requests, or the information would be reported correctly. Any last suggestions to try and get this fixed? The FTC said to get a lawyer.

Asked on July 13, 2010 under General Practice, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

That may be what in fact you need to do.  It appears that you have done everything you can to help yourselves with the situation but that it has not changed.  Sometimes, unfortunately, people and organizations do not respond to the valid request of a consumer.  But an attorney's letter can make them stand up and take notice, so to speak. It is not right but it sometimes the case.  So seek consultation from an attorney that deals with this issue (fraudulent reporting and credit reporting issues) and see if you can come to an agreement as to how to proceed that is the least costly for you.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption