What shouldI do if I received court papers that had my name wrong?

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What shouldI do if I received court papers that had my name wrong?

Court papers where sent to my house today. They had my first name right but not my last name. So I am planning on sending them back.

Asked on July 21, 2011 Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Probably a mispelling has no effect. If the papers correctly identify you--i.e. it's obvious that you're the person in question--and were served properly, a court will not dismiss the case due to a mispelling; rathter the court would most likely simply give the plaintiff (the party suing you) leave to amend the summons and complaint to correct the spelling, and/or simply order itself (if you bring it to the court's attention) that the spelling be correctly. Besides, even IF you could get these papers dismissed on this grounds, the most that would do is buy you another 2 or 3 weeks, as the other party refiles with a corrected spelling. Also, note that if you try to refuse or ignore these papers, that could result in you losing automatically, by default, since they were in fact evidently served on you properly. All in all, you therefore should proceed as if your name was spelled right and ignore that as an issue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption