What to do if my previous employer is blocking co-worker references?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my previous employer is blocking co-worker references?

I was force to quit my job 6 months ago and I filed a EEOC complaint. In response, my former employer ordered its employees not to have any communication with me. My issue is that I had good relations with many of my colleagues and many new jobs are asking for a co-worker reference. My colleagues are scared to provide any reference about me because they fear that the employer may retaliate. I feel that the employer damaged my character and my chances to obtain a job. What are my options?

Asked on January 22, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What a terrible situation that you are in here. I think that you should speak with an employment attorney in your area on this matter.  Your employer is hindering your ability to obtain employment here and you need to check and see howthis is actionable under your state employment law.  In the meantime you can just be brutally honest with potential new employers but I can see how that alone may hinder employment.  Employers may not want someone who has a prior history of filing complaint with the EEOC.  Have you filed for unemployment?  You should have tried at the very least since you claim that you were "forced" to leave.  Discuss that with the attorney as well.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption