Contested or Uncontested?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Contested or Uncontested?

My husband and i have been separated for 10 months. In May I went to court to be
in front of judge to finalize divorce. It was there i was told i was missing the
settlement form. When i went to have my ex sign it he refused. I then had him
served this form and he agreed to sign it in an email several times but has been
‘too busy’ to meet me. It has now been 8 weeks since he was served. What do i
do now? I don’t have funds for a lawyer. I filed an uncontested divorce, does
him not signing make it a contested divorce? Appreciate any help.
Stuck in GA

Asked on July 25, 2018 under Family Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your husband refusing to sign now makes this a contested divorce. It would only have been uncontested if it had been finalized with his agreement or consent--but it wasn't. If he won't execute (sign) the settlement, he is now contesting the divorce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption